Thursday, July 16, 2009

Cultural Overload

One thing I loved about the 5 weeks I spent in Arlington/D.C. last summer was the cultural diversity that came with a big east coast city. I loved working with people from other countries, learning about their culture, trying out new foods (have you been back to the kabob place, Christina?), and hearing other languages everyday. I was looking forward to similar new experiences in San Diego.

This west coast city has not disappointed. We have barely been here a month and have already been exposed to so many new things. Of course, there are many Mexicans, which everyone associates with southern California, and we have enjoyed practicing reading and speaking the limited Spanish we know from good ole' CHS. I love hearing Spanish spoken when I'm out! Surprisingly, we have yet to visit a Mexican restaurant, and everyone I tell that to always gasps and offers a plethora of choices. That needs to move to the top of our to-do list.

I went to my first Vietnamese restaurant this week with all my co-residents and a pharmacist on our lunch break. I got quite the lesson in Vietnamese cuisine. Still not able to actually PRONOUNCE anything on the menu, but at least I now have some idea of what I'm ordering. I had some BBQ chicken with rice and some chicken broth soup, and it was wonderful.

I have discovered a new Mexican way of eating fruit from my co-resident, Silvia. She brought watermelon to work on day, squeezed a lime over it, and sprinkled chili powder on it. It was fabulous! I said, "I'm going to learn lots of new things in the crazy state!" They all found that hilarious.

Of course, it's not like we come from a place that just has a bunch of white farmers. We even have a Vietnamese restaurant in Davenport! (Though we have been pronouncing Pho-99 incorrectly all this time. Apparently it's pronounced "fuh." Who knew?) Our high-school was quite diverse, and I don't feel that I have been shut up in a box to diversity by any means. It's just a whole different cultural experience here, in a good way.

And yes, Josh, you will be trying sushi.

1 comment:

  1. I have not been back to that kabob place. It was a bit too overwhelming - so I go to one down the road that is a little more Americanized. I'm sad, I know!

    ReplyDelete