Sunday, November 1, 2009

Things Josh Didn't Know About Me #1

When you get married, you think you know the person you're marrying pretty well. However, you immediately start finding out all these little things that you didn't really know about them. Josh and I were talking about this the other day, mostly because of one of the main things he didn't know about me...and he was probably scolding me for it.

I am very responsible...when it comes to work and, well, responsibilities. I always have homework done on time. I'm always thoroughly prepared for presentations (ok, KIND OF prepared). I turn things in on time. I generally respond to work emails on time. If I'm responsible for some type of social or work event, my tasks will be done and done right. I pay bills on time and mail off the rent check well ahead of the due date. I get my oil changed on schedule.

However...when it comes to day-to-day items that aren't exactly what I call "important," I am much, much, MUCH less likely to do them in a timely manner. Meaning, I likely won't do them at all until I really have NOTHING else to do...so I won't be doing them. Examples: I have been saying I will wash may car for about 3 months now. I have been saying I will take a check to the bank for about 5 weeks now. I put laundry off for a period of time which I will not even admit. I have a Wal-Mart return in my car that has been there for over a month. (Once, I returned something after almost 2 years. The store took it back!--further justifying to me that this behavior is okay.)

I think my husband really just does not know what to do with me. Humorously, he is EXTREMELY responsible with all these little chores. When he says he has something that needs done, he usually does it, like, that day. It's crazy! And quite admirable, I suppose. He had his car registered and his driver's license changed in the first month we were here. (I, however, am still sporting my Iowa plates, and no one can ever find my birthday on my still-Iowa ID. I don't have time to go sit at the DMV for 4 hours! Are you kidding me?!)

So, Josh can't take my perpetual non-action on all the things I consider non-vital to the success of my day, and he ends up doing most of them. He goes to the bank and the post-office for me. He does the little things around the house that I will never get around to doing. He was on the ball with taking care of our broken refrigerator situation. (But I'm the one that cleaned out that disgusting fridge! It's not like I do nothing...)

I'm pretty sure, though, that he is silently refusing to let me con him into getting my car washed for me. Darn it.

1 comment:

  1. I think this is heriditary. I also do the important things (at least what I think are important). I have survived a long time and nothing really bad has happened to me. A good thing Josh can cover for you like robin covers for me.

    ReplyDelete